Mince Meat Recipe
The history of mince meat dates back to medieval times when it was made with finely chopped meat, suet, and fruits. Originally, mince meat was created as a way to preserve meat and fruit for long periods of time. It was considered a winter treat and was often enjoyed during festive occasions.
Fun fact: The original mince meat recipe included meat, sweet fruits, and spices such as cinnamon and cloves. However, over time, the recipe evolved and minced meat became a popular ingredient for pies and tarts during the Christmas season in Western cultures.
Now, let's get to the recipe for this delicious mince meat!
- 2 pounds of roast beef (finely chopped)
- 2 pounds of chopped beef suet
- 2 pounds of chopped peeled apples
- 2 pounds of seeded raisins
- 2 pounds of Sultana raisins
- 2 pounds of washed currants
- 2 pounds of white sugar
- 1 pound of citron (cut in bits)
- 1 pound of dried orange peel
- 2 grated nutmegs
- 3 teaspoonfuls of ground mace
- 3 teaspoonfuls of ground cloves
- 3 teaspoonfuls of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoonful of salt
- Grated rind and juice of 2 oranges
- 1 quart of brandy
- 1 quart of sherry
- 1 glass of blackberry jelly
1. Measure each ingredient carefully and have them ready for mixing.
2. In a large bowl, combine the finely chopped roast beef, chopped beef suet, chopped peeled apples, seeded raisins, Sultana raisins, washed currants, white sugar, citron, dried orange peel, grated nutmegs, ground mace, ground cloves, ground cinnamon, salt, grated rind, and juice of oranges.
3. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly until well combined. The aroma will start to fill the kitchen!
4. Once mixed, add the quart of brandy, quart of sherry, and glass of blackberry jelly to the mixture. Keep stirring until everything is evenly distributed.
5. After mixing thoroughly, place the mince meat in a stone jar for storage. This will help enhance the flavors.
6. Allow the mince meat to sit for at least 24 hours before using it. This will allow the flavors to meld together.
7. Use the mince meat as desired. It is commonly used as a filling for pies, tarts, and pastries during the holiday season.
Fun fact: Mince meat is traditionally associated with Christmas and is a staple in desserts such as mince pies. It is said to bring good luck and prosperity when consumed during the festive season.
Similar recipe dishes:
- Mince meat pie: Use the mince meat as a delicious filling for a homemade pie crust. Bake until golden brown and serve with a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- Mince meat turnovers: Spoon the mince meat onto small squares of puff pastry, fold them into triangles, and bake until golden and flaky. These make perfect bite-sized treats for parties or afternoon snacks.
- Mince meat tarts: Use pre-made tart shells and fill them with the mince meat mixture. Bake until the shells are crisp and the filling is bubbling. These tarts are great for serving at holiday parties or as a sweet treat after dinner.
Enjoy making and savoring this classic mince meat recipe. It will surely impress your family and friends during the holiday season!