Poached Egg Sandwiches Recipe
Poached Egg Sandwich Recipe:
The poached egg sandwich is a classic and beloved dish that has been enjoyed for generations. It is believed to have originated in England, where it was commonly consumed as a breakfast or afternoon tea snack. The combination of a perfectly poached egg and various ingredients, such as bread, pimentoes, mayonnaise, and watercress, creates a delicious and satisfying sandwich.
- Poaching eggs dates back to ancient times, with evidence of egg poaching found in Roman and Medieval cooking.
- The term "poach" means to cook food gently in liquid, usually water. When it comes to poaching eggs, it involves simmering them in water until they reach the desired level of doneness.
- Poached eggs are considered a healthier alternative to fried or scrambled eggs, as they require little to no added fats.
- The addition of pimentoes, which are sweet chili peppers, provides a mild and slightly tangy flavor to the sandwich.
- Watercress is a nutritious leafy green vegetable that adds a peppery taste and a refreshing crunch to the sandwich.
- Slices of bread (from a round loaf)
- Canned pimentoes, sliced into strips
- Cold poached eggs
- Sprigs of watercress
1. Slice enough pieces of bread from a round loaf to serve the desired number of people. Toast the slices and let them cool.
2. Across each toasted slice, place three strips of canned pimentoes.
3. Place a cold poached egg on top of the pimentoes.
4. Spoon a teaspoon of mayonnaise on the top of each poached egg.
5. Garnish the sandwich with sprigs of watercress, encircling the toast.
6. Repeat the process for the remaining slices of bread and ingredients.
7. Serve the poached egg sandwiches immediately and enjoy!
Mustard Sardine Paste for Sandwiches:
(Additional option for sandwich filling)
- 1 box of mustard sardines, bones removed and mashed
- 1 tablespoon of tomato catsup
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- White pepper, amount covering the end of a knife
- 2 tablespoons of vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Thinly cut bread for sandwiches
1. In a bowl, combine the mashed mustard sardines with tomato catsup, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, cayenne pepper, white pepper, vinegar, and olive oil.
2. Mix the ingredients thoroughly until a paste-like consistency is formed.
3. Spread the mustard sardine paste thinly onto the slices of thinly cut bread.
4. Close the sandwich with another slice of bread and gently press together.
5. Repeat the process for the remaining ingredients.
6. Serve the mustard sardine sandwiches as an alternative filling option.
Similar Recipe Dishes:
- Egg Salad Sandwich: Replace the poached eggs with hard-boiled eggs. Mash the eggs, mix them with mayonnaise, and season with salt, pepper, and other desired herbs or spices. Spread the egg salad on toasted bread slices and garnish with lettuce or watercress.
- Avocado and Egg Sandwich: Mash ripe avocados with a squeeze of lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Spread the avocado mixture onto toasted bread slices and top with slices of hard-boiled or poached eggs. Optional additional toppings include tomato or bacon.
- Caprese Egg Sandwich: Layer slices of fresh tomato, mozzarella cheese, and basil leaves on toasted bread slices. Top with a poached egg and drizzle with balsamic glaze or dressing.
- Smoked Salmon and Egg Sandwich: Replace the poached eggs with slices of smoked salmon. Layer the salmon on toasted bread slices along with sliced red onions, capers, and a dollop of cream cheese. Top with sprigs of dill or parsley.
- BLT Egg Sandwich: Layer crispy bacon, lettuce, and sliced tomatoes onto toasted bread slices. Top with a poached egg and spread mayonnaise or aioli on the other slice of bread.