Shrimp Or Oyster Curry Recipe
Shrimp and Oyster Curry is a delightful dish that combines the flavors of seafood with a rich and creamy curry sauce. This recipe is incredibly versatile and can be prepared with either shrimp or oysters, depending on your preference. In this recipe, we will incorporate both shrimp and oysters to create a unique and delicious curry that is sure to impress your friends and family.
But first, let's delve into the history of this dish. Curry, originating from the Indian subcontinent, has been enjoyed for centuries. It eventually made its way to the Western world, where it started to evolve and adapt to different tastes and ingredients. Seafood curries became particularly popular due to their unique flavors and the abundance of fresh seafood available in coastal regions. Shrimp and oyster curry, therefore, emerged as a delightful fusion of Indian and Western culinary traditions.
Now, let's dive into the recipe itself:
- 4 ounces (113 grams) of butter
- 4 young onions, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon of corn starch
- 2 tablespoons of curry powder
- 1/2 cup of cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cayenne pepper (optional, for an extra kick)
- Milk (as needed) for thinning the sauce
- 1 cup of peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 cup of fresh shucked oysters
1. Start by melting the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
2. Add the chopped onions and minced garlic to the melted butter and sautÃ© until they become translucent and fragrant.
3. Squeeze the juice of two limes into the skillet and stir well to incorporate the flavors.
4. In a small bowl, combine the corn starch and curry powder. Add this mixture to the skillet and stir rapidly to create a thick paste.
5. Pour in the cream and season with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper (if desired). Stir continuously over the heat until the mixture thickens.
6. Gradually add milk to the skillet, stirring constantly, until your curry reaches the desired consistency. The sauce should be creamy and smooth.
7. Add the peeled and deveined shrimp, along with the fresh shucked oysters, to the skillet. Stir gently to coat the seafood with the curry sauce.
8. Allow the curry to come to a gentle boil and then let it simmer for approximately two minutes to cook the seafood. Be cautious not to overcook the shrimp and oysters, as they can become tough and rubbery.
9. Once the shrimp and oysters are cooked, taste the curry and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
10. Remove the skillet from the heat and serve the shrimp and oyster curry hot over steamed rice or accompanied by warm naan bread.
Fun fact: Shrimp and oyster curry is not only delicious but also a nutritious choice. Shrimp and oysters are low in fat and calories, making them a great addition to a balanced diet. They are also excellent sources of protein, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals.
Similar recipes: If you enjoyed making and tasting the shrimp and oyster curry, you might want to explore other seafood curry variations. Some popular alternatives include fish curry, crab curry, and lobster curry. Each of these dishes offers a unique twist on the classic seafood curry, introducing different flavors and textures to keep your taste buds excited. Feel free to experiment with various seafood options to create your own signature curry dish.