Aunt Sarah's Cinnamon Cake Recipe
History of Aunt Sarah's Cinnamon Cake:
Aunt Sarah's Cinnamon Cake is a beloved family recipe that has been passed down through generations. The origins of this recipe can be traced back to the early 1900s when Aunt Sarah, a skilled home cook, first created this delightful cinnamon-flavored cake. It quickly became a favorite among family and friends, and its popularity spread throughout the community.
Fun fact: Aunt Sarah initially named this recipe "Sarah's Breakfast Cake" due to its light and fluffy texture, making it an excellent option to start the day with. However, over time, the cake's distinct cinnamon flavor became its defining characteristic, leading to its current name - Aunt Sarah's Cinnamon Cake.
Now, let's dive into the recipe and learn how to recreate this delicious cake in your own kitchen!
Aunt Sarah's Cinnamon Cake Recipe:
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Piece of butter the size of an egg
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup milk
- A little grated nutmeg
- Sugar and cinnamon for sprinkling
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease two small pie tins.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat the butter to a cream using an electric mixer or a wooden spoon.
3. Gradually add the sugar to the creamy butter and continue beating until the mixture is well combined.
4. Add the unbeaten egg to the mixture and beat thoroughly until fully incorporated.
5. Pour the milk into the mixture and gradually add the flour. Continue to beat hard for about five minutes, ensuring all the ingredients are well combined and the batter is smooth.
6. Add the baking powder, salt, and a little grated nutmeg to the batter. Mix well to evenly distribute the ingredients throughout the batter.
7. Pour the batter into the greased pie tins, dividing it equally between the two tins.
8. Before putting the tins in the oven, sprinkle a generous amount of sugar and cinnamon over the top of each cake. This will create a delightful crust once baked.
9. Place the pie tins in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.
10. Once fully baked, remove the cakes from the oven and let them cool in the tins for a few minutes. Then, transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
11. Once cooled, slice and serve Aunt Sarah's Cinnamon Cake as a delightful treat for breakfast or any time of the day.
Similar Recipe Dishes:
If you enjoy Aunt Sarah's Cinnamon Cake, you might also want to try these similar recipe dishes:
1. Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake: A moist and tender coffee cake with a rich cinnamon swirl running through the center. Perfect for brunch or a special treat.
2. Cinnamon Apple Bundt Cake: This decadent cake combines the flavors of cinnamon and fresh apples in a beautiful bundt shape. It's perfect for apple lovers and makes a stunning centerpiece for any occasion.
3. Cinnamon Roll Pancake Casserole: Transform the classic breakfast of cinnamon rolls and pancakes into a single casserole dish. This recipe combines the best of both worlds and is perfect for feeding a crowd.
4. Cinnamon Streusel Muffins: These fluffy muffins are filled with a delightful cinnamon streusel mixture and topped with a buttery crumb topping. They make a delicious on-the-go breakfast or a sweet treat any time of the day.
Experiment with these similar recipes and enjoy the comforting flavors of cinnamon in various forms.