Blanquette Of Veal. Recipe
Blanquette of Veal is a classic French dish that dates back to the 19th century. The word "blanquette" means "white" in French, referring to the pale color of the dish's sauce. It is traditionally made with tender pieces of veal or poultry, cooked in a velvety white sauce and served with a garnish of button mushrooms. This dish is known for its delicate flavors and creamy texture.
Fun fact: Blanquette of Veal is often considered one of the original "comfort foods" in French cuisine. It was a popular dish among French royalty and aristocracy, known for its rich and satisfying qualities.
Now, let's dive into the recipe:
- 2 pounds of cold veal, thinly sliced into the size of shillings and half crowns
- 1 cup of fresh, well-cleaned button mushrooms
- Veal gravy
- 1 piece of clarified veal fat (about the size of a hard-boiled egg yolk)
- 1 piece of lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon of white pepper
- Salt, to taste
- 1 small lump of white sugar
- A pinch of nutmeg
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- Mashed potatoes (for serving)
- Optional: a few truffles for garnish
1. In a small saucepan, combine the thinly sliced veal or poultry with the button mushrooms. Pour enough veal gravy over them just to cover.
2. Add the clarified veal fat to the saucepan. The clarified fat adds richness and depth to the dish.
3. Season the mixture with the lemon peel, white pepper, salt, sugar, and nutmeg. These ingredients will enhance the flavors of the dish.
4. Stew the veal and mushrooms together for about 15 minutes on low heat. This will allow the flavors to meld and the meat to become tender.
5. In a separate saucepan, prepare the sauce by combining veal gravy, lemon juice, and the beaten egg yolks. Stir well to combine.
6. Gently pour the sauce over the veal and mushrooms in the saucepan. Simmer the mixture for just a few moments until the sauce thickens slightly.
7. To serve, prepare a dish with a wall of delicately browned mashed potatoes. The mashed potatoes will provide a beautiful and tasty base for the blanquette.
8. Carefully arrange the veal and mushroom mixture in the center of the dish, surrounded by the mashed potato wall.
9. If desired, garnish the dish with a few slices of truffles for an extra touch of elegance.
Blanquette of Veal is a classic and elegant dish. Its creamy texture and delicate flavors make it a perfect choice for a special occasion or a fancy dinner party. Serve it with a side of green vegetables or a simple salad for a complete meal.
Similar recipe dishes that you may enjoy include Blanquette of Chicken, which follows a similar cooking method but uses chicken instead of veal. Another delicious option is the Veal Stew, where the veal is slow-cooked with vegetables and aromatic herbs in a rich sauce. These dishes all showcase the tenderness and flavor of veal in different ways.