Carrots With Brisket Of Beef Recipe
Carrots with Brisket of Beef Recipe
Carrots with Brisket of Beef is a classic dish that combines the tender and flavorful brisket of beef with the sweet and earthy taste of carrots. This recipe has been passed down through generations and is enjoyed by families all over the world. It is a hearty and comforting dish perfect for a cozy family dinner or a special occasion.
Fun Fact: Carrots have been cultivated for over 5,000 years and were originally grown for their leaves and seeds rather than their roots. The orange carrot that we are familiar with today only became popular in the 17th century.
- 2 pounds of fat brisket of beef
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 bunches of carrots, washed and scraped
- Water for boiling
- 2 tablespoons of fat or cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons of flour
1. Start by salting and peppering the brisket of beef. Let it stand for several hours to allow the flavors to infuse.
2. While the brisket is marinating, prepare the carrots. Wash and scrape two bunches of carrots, then cut them into small cubes. This will allow the carrots to cook evenly and soak up the flavors of the beef.
3. In a large kettle or pot, place the seasoned brisket of beef and the cubed carrots. Cover them with boiling water, ensuring that the water level is enough to fully submerge the meat and carrots.
4. Cook the brisket and carrots for several hours over low heat, or until the meat is tender and the carrots are soft. As the dish cooks, the water will reduce and become more concentrated in flavor.
5. In a separate frying pan or spider, heat two tablespoons of fat or cooking oil. Let it brown slightly before adding two tablespoons of flour. Stir the flour into the fat to create a roux.
6. Gradually add one cup of the carrot and meat liquid to the roux, stirring constantly to prevent lumps from forming. This will thicken the sauce and give it a rich and velvety texture.
7. Pour the thickened sauce into the kettle with the meat and carrots. Allow the dish to simmer until the carrots become browned and caramelized. This step will enhance the sweetness and deepen the flavors of the dish.
8. Once the carrots have browned, the Carrots with Brisket of Beef is ready to be served. Remove the brisket from the pot and slice it thinly against the grain. Arrange the sliced brisket and caramelized carrots on a platter and drizzle some of the sauce over the top.
Serve the Carrots with Brisket of Beef alongside some crusty bread or mashed potatoes for a complete meal. The tender and succulent beef paired with the sweet and caramelized carrots will create a delightful combination of flavors on your plate.
Fun Fact: In Russia, carrots are often used in a dish called "Compote of Carrots." This Russian-style compote involves making a syrup with sugar and water and then adding diced carrots that have been previously browned in hot fat or butter. The mixture is then cooked until the carrots are tender. It is a sweet and tangy dessert that showcases the natural sweetness of the carrots.
Similar Recipe Dishes:
- Pot Roast with Carrots: This dish is similar to Carrots with Brisket of Beef but uses a different cut of beef, usually a chuck roast. The beef is slow-cooked with carrots, onions, and other vegetables until tender and flavorful. It is a classic comfort food dish that is perfect for family gatherings.
- Beef Stew with Carrots: Beef stew is a hearty and comforting dish that features tender beef, carrots, potatoes, and other vegetables simmered in a rich broth. It is a versatile dish that can be customized with different seasonings and herbs to suit your taste.
- Honey-Glazed Carrots with Beef Tenderloin: For a more elegant and refined dish, try pairing honey-glazed carrots with tender beef tenderloin. The sweet and caramelized carrots complement the tender and flavorful beef perfectly, creating a delicious and visually appealing dish.