Curried Veal. Recipe
Curried veal is a delicious and flavorful dish that incorporates tender pieces of veal, aromatic spices, and a rich gravy. This recipe has its roots in Indian cuisine, where curry has been a popular spice blend for centuries. It has since gained popularity worldwide and is now enjoyed in various adaptations and forms. In this recipe, we will explore how to make a classic curried veal dish that will leave your taste buds satisfied.
- The term "curry" actually refers to a blend of spices commonly used in Indian cooking. It typically includes ingredients such as coriander, cumin, turmeric, ginger, and chili powder, among others.
- Veal, known for its tender and delicate flavor, is the meat of young calves. Veal was considered a luxury meat in many European cuisines, and the delicate nature of the meat pairs well with the bold flavors of curry.
- Curry recipes can vary greatly, not only across different regions but also within families. Each cook often has their own blend of spices and techniques to create their signature curry dish.
- Curried dishes are not limited to veal; you can also find curried versions of chicken, beef, lamb, and even vegetables.
- 2 pounds veal breast, cut into pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 cup veal or beef broth
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Optional: chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
1. Heat a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add a small amount of oil or butter to the pan to prevent sticking.
2. Add the chopped onion to the pan and sautÃ© until it becomes translucent. This will take about 5 minutes.
3. Add the veal pieces to the pan and lightly fry them until they are browned on all sides. This should take about 8-10 minutes.
4. Sprinkle the curry powder over the veal and onion mixture, ensuring that all pieces are coated evenly. Allow the spices to toast for about a minute, stirring continuously.
5. Pour the veal or beef broth into the pan. The broth will deglaze the pan and help create a rich gravy. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
6. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remember that the curry powder already contains spices, so adjust the seasoning accordingly.
7. Cover the pan with a lid and reduce the heat to low. Allow the veal to simmer gently for about 1.5 to 2 hours, or until it becomes tender. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
8. Just before serving, stir in the lemon juice. This will add a bright and tangy element to the dish.
9. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro, if desired, to add a fresh and herbaceous note.
10. Serve your curried veal over steamed rice or with warm naan bread for a complete and satisfying meal.
Similar Curried Dishes:
1. Curried Chicken: Replace the veal with boneless chicken pieces and follow the same steps in the recipe. Adjust the cooking time as needed, as chicken cooks faster than veal.
2. Curried Beef: Use cubed beef chunks, such as stew meat, instead of veal. Brown the beef and onion as directed and continue with the recipe. Adjust the simmering time to ensure the beef becomes tender.
3. Curried Lamb: Lamb is another excellent meat choice for currying. Substitute the veal with boneless lamb pieces and proceed with the recipe. Adjust the cooking time to ensure the lamb becomes tender and juicy.
4. Curried Vegetables: If you prefer a vegetarian or vegan option, you can make a delicious curried dish using an assortment of vegetables. Popular choices include potatoes, cauliflower, carrots, peas, and bell peppers. Simply sautÃ© the vegetables before adding the curry powder and broth, then proceed with the remaining steps in the recipe.
Curried veal is a delightful dish that combines the tenderness of veal with the bold and aromatic flavors of curry. This recipe offers an easy-to-follow method for creating a delectable curried dish that can be enjoyed alongside rice or bread. Remember, the versatility of curry allows you to adapt this recipe to suit your preferences by using different proteins or adding a variety of vegetables. So, gather your ingredients, embrace the flavors of curry, and savor the delicious experience of curried veal.