Kugel And Commean. Recipe
Recipe: Kugel And Commean
Kugel And Commean is a traditional dish that has its roots in Spanish cuisine. It is a hearty and nutritious dish that combines Spanish peas, Spanish beans, beef, marrow bones, and various spices. The dish is slow-cooked in a pan, resulting in a flavorful and tender meal. The pudding is made with a combination of flour, suet, brown sugar, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, allspice, and bread crumbs. It is served with a delicious sweet sauce flavored with lemon and brandy.
The origins of Kugel And Commean can be traced back to the Spanish regions, where beans and peas were commonly used in traditional dishes. The slow cooking method creates tender and flavorful meat, while the combination of spices adds depth and complexity to the dish. Over the years, the recipe has been adapted and modified in various regions, adding unique twists and flavors. Kugel And Commean has become a popular comfort food, loved by many.
- The name Kugel And Commean comes from the Spanish words for pudding and beef soup, respectively.
- The slow cooking process allows the flavors to meld together, resulting in a rich and savory dish.
- The use of marrow bones adds a unique richness to the dish and enhances the flavor of the gravy.
- 1 pint Spanish peas
- 1 pint Spanish beans
- 3 pints water
- 2 marrow bones
- 1 calf's-foot
- 3 pounds fine gravy-beef
- 1 pound flour
- 1/2 pound shredded suet
- Grated nutmeg (to taste)
- Ground ginger (to taste)
- Ground cloves (to taste)
- Ground allspice (to taste)
- 1 pound coarse brown sugar
- 1 slice bread crumbs (soaked in water, pressed dry)
- Lemon sauce (for serving)
- Brandy sauce (for serving)
1. Soak the Spanish peas and beans in three pints of water overnight.
2. In a large pan, combine the soaked peas and beans with the marrow bones, calf's-foot, and fine gravy-beef.
3. Crack the marrow bones and tie them to prevent the marrow from escaping.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, shredded suet, grated nutmeg, ground ginger, ground cloves, ground allspice, coarse brown sugar, and soaked bread crumbs.
5. Grease a quart basin and transfer the mixture into it.
6. Place the basin in the middle of the pan, on top of the beans, meat, and other ingredients.
7. Cover the pan lightly with coarse brown paper.
8. Let it sit in a baker's oven overnight or until required. This slow cooking process will allow the flavors to develop and the meat to become tender.
9. Once cooked, remove the basin containing the pudding from the pan and skim the fat from the gravy. The gravy can be served as soup.
10. Carefully turn out the pudding from the basin onto a serving dish.
11. Serve the Kugel And Commean with a sweet sauce flavored with lemon and brandy.
Similar Recipe Dishes:
1. Cassoulet: Cassoulet is a traditional French dish made with white beans, various meats, and spices. It is slow-cooked to create a flavorful and hearty meal.
2. Feijoada: Feijoada is a popular Brazilian dish made with black beans and a variety of meats, such as pork, beef, and sausage. It is often served with rice and collard greens.
3. Hoppin' John: Hoppin' John is a Southern dish made with black-eyed peas, rice, and smoked pork. It is often served on New Year's Day for good luck.
4. Pot-au-Feu: Pot-au-Feu is a classic French dish made with beef, pork, carrots, onions, and various spices. It is slow-cooked to create a flavorful broth and tender meat.
5. Fabada Asturiana: Fabada Asturiana is a traditional Spanish dish made with white beans, sausage, and pork. It is a hearty and comforting meal often enjoyed during the winter months.
Enjoy preparing and savoring this delicious Kugel And Commean recipe, and feel free to explore other similar dishes from different cuisines around the world!