Savoy Cabbage With Rice Recipe
Savoy Cabbage with Rice Recipe
Savoy cabbage with rice is a delicious, hearty dish that combines the delicate flavors of Savoy cabbage with the nutty goodness of rice. This recipe has a long history and is enjoyed by many around the world. The combination of tender cabbage leaves, cooked rice, raisins, and warm spices creates a delightful flavor profile that is both comforting and satisfying. It can be served as a main dish or a side, and it tastes just as good when reheated. In this recipe, we will provide step-by-step instructions on how to make this delightful dish.
- Savoy cabbage is a type of cabbage that originated in Italy and has a crinkled or wrinkled appearance. It is known for its tender leaves and mild flavor.
- Cabbage has been cultivated for thousands of years and has been a staple in many cuisines around the world.
- Cabbage is packed with nutrients, including vitamins C and K, fiber, and antioxidants, making it a healthy addition to your diet.
- 1 medium-sized Savoy cabbage
- 1 cup boiled rice
- 3 dozen raisins
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons drippings (or cooking fat of your choice)
- String for tying the cabbage rolls
1. Start by boiling the Savoy cabbage whole for five minutes in a large pot of salted water. This will help to soften the leaves and make them easier to work with.
2. Once the cabbage is cooked, drain it and set it aside to cool.
3. Once the cabbage has cooled, carefully separate the leaves, ensuring they remain intact. Set them aside for later use.
4. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the boiled rice, raisins, pinch of salt, cinnamon, and drippings. This will create a flavorful filling for the cabbage rolls.
5. Take a cabbage leaf and place about 2 tablespoons of the rice mixture in the center. Carefully roll the leaf around the filling, tucking in the sides as you go. Secure the roll with a piece of string, ensuring it stays intact during cooking.
6. Repeat the process with the remaining cabbage leaves and filling until all the ingredients are used.
7. Place the cabbage rolls in a pan, ensuring they fit snugly. It is important to have a pan with a lid to keep the steam inside while cooking.
8. Pour any remaining drippings or fat over the cabbage rolls to prevent them from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
9. Cover the pan and cook the cabbage rolls over low heat for approximately one hour or until the cabbage is tender and the rice filling is fully cooked.
10. Check on the rolls occasionally and baste them with the fat and juices from the pan to keep them moist and flavorful.
11. Once the cabbage rolls are done, remove them from the pan and let them cool slightly before serving. The dish can be enjoyed warm or at room temperature.
12. Savoy cabbage with rice is just as delicious when reheated, making it a great option for leftovers.
Similar Recipe Dishes:
- Stuffed Cabbage Rolls: This dish is a popular variation of the Savoy cabbage with rice recipe, where the cabbage rolls are filled with a mixture of ground meat, rice, and spices. The rolls are then simmered in a flavorful tomato sauce until tender.
- Cabbage and Rice Casserole: In this variation, cabbage and rice are combined with additional vegetables, such as carrots and onions, and baked in a casserole dish until all the flavors meld together. It makes for a hearty and comforting main dish.
- Cabbage Soup with Rice: If you prefer a soup version, you can use the same ingredients but cook them in a flavorful broth until the cabbage is tender. This recipe is perfect for colder days when you're craving a warm and nourishing bowl of soup.
Enjoy the delightful combination of flavors in Savoy cabbage with rice, and experiment with different variations to suit your taste preferences. This dish is sure to become a favorite in your household for its comforting and satisfying qualities.