Spinach With Cream Sauce Recipe
Spinach with cream sauce is a delicious and nutrient-packed dish that combines the goodness of spinach with a creamy and flavorful sauce. This delightful recipe has a rich history, tracing back to the Mediterranean region where spinach is believed to have originated. Spinach has been cultivated for thousands of years and has made its way into various cuisines worldwide.
Fun Fact: Although spinach is often associated with Popeye, the famous cartoon character's love for spinach actually sparked a significant increase in spinach consumption in the United States during the 1930s. This unintentional advertisement for spinach led to a boost in its popularity.
Now, let's dive into the recipe and bring together the delectable flavors of spinach and cream sauce.
- 500 grams of fresh spinach leaves
- 200 ml heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced (for garnish)
1. Start by washing the spinach leaves thoroughly to remove any dirt or impurities. Trim off any tough stems if necessary.
2. In a large pot, bring water to a boil and add a pinch of salt. Place the spinach leaves into the boiling water and cook them for about 1-2 minutes or until they wilt. Do not overcook, as this will result in a loss of flavor and nutrients.
3. Once the spinach is cooked, drain it through a colander and then grind it through a machine or chop it finely. Set aside.
4. In a separate saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Once melted, add the flour and stir continuously to create a smooth paste, forming a roux. Cook the roux for about 2-3 minutes, while stirring constantly, to eliminate the raw flour taste.
5. Gradually pour in the heavy cream, stirring constantly to combine it with the roux. Continue stirring until the mixture thickens and forms a smooth and velvety sauce, for about 5-6 minutes.
6. Reduce the heat to low and add the ground nutmeg, salt, and pepper to the cream sauce. Adjust the seasoning according to your taste preferences.
7. Finally, add the cooked spinach to the cream sauce and stir gently to combine. Ensure that all the spinach leaves are coated with the creamy sauce.
8. Allow the spinach to cook in the cream sauce for a few minutes on low heat, just enough to warm it through.
9. Once ready, remove the spinach with cream sauce from the heat and transfer it to a serving dish.
10. Garnish the dish with slices of hard-boiled eggs, arranged beautifully on top.
Serve the Spinach with Cream Sauce as a side dish alongside roasted chicken, grilled salmon, or as a vegetarian main course accompanied by rice or crusty bread.
Similar Recipe Dishes:
- Creamed Spinach: A classic variation of this recipe that often includes onions and garlic cooked in butter before adding spinach to the cream sauce. Some recipes also include a sprinkle of grated cheese on top for added richness.
- Spinach Florentine: In this dish, spinach is often combined with a mixture of ricotta cheese, garlic, and nutmeg, which is then stuffed into pasta shells or layered in lasagna.
- Saag Paneer: A popular Indian dish where spinach is cooked with spices, onions, and garlic, then mixed with cubes of paneer cheese.
- Creamed Spinach Soup: A comforting and creamy soup made by blending cooked spinach with a creamy base and topped with diced tomatoes or croutons.
So whether you choose to enjoy it as a side dish or a vegetarian main course, spinach with cream sauce is a versatile and satisfying recipe that will surely impress your taste buds with its delightful blend of flavors.