Amastich is a traditional recipe that is believed to have originated in Turkey. With its rich flavors and unique cooking techniques, it has been passed down through generations and is still enjoyed today. The dish is typically made using a whole chicken that is stuffed and cooked to perfection. The name "Amastich" is derived from the Turkish word "amasya", which means delicious and tasty.
- Amastich is often served during special occasions and family gatherings in Turkey.
- The dish is known for its tender and flavorful chicken, which is achieved through slow cooking and using high-quality ingredients.
- The use of stock, lemon juice, and beaten egg gives the dish a rich and creamy texture.
- 1 pound of rice
- 1 quart of stock
- 1 whole chicken, stuffed and trussed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 beaten egg
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large pot, cook one pound of rice in a quart of stock for about half an hour, stirring frequently to ensure even cooking.
2. While the rice is cooking, prepare the chicken by stuffing and trussing it as you would for roasting. This involves inserting your desired stuffing (such as a mixture of breadcrumbs, herbs, and spices) into the cavity of the chicken and tying it with kitchen twine to hold its shape.
3. Once the rice is cooked, place the stuffed chicken on top of the rice in the pot, making sure it is fully submerged. Cover the pot closely and cook the chicken thoroughly, allowing the flavors to infuse together.
4. After the chicken is cooked, carefully remove it from the pot and set it aside to rest.
5. Pass the cooking liquid through a strainer to remove any impurities, and then return it to the pot. Add the juice of a lemon and the beaten yolk of an egg to the liquid, stirring well to combine.
6. Pour the lemon and egg mixture over the cooked chicken, allowing it to soak in the flavors and create a luscious sauce.
7. Transfer the chicken to a serving platter and garnish with fresh herbs for an added touch of color and fragrance.
8. Serve the Amastich alongside the cooked rice and enjoy the flavorful combination of tender chicken and fragrant rice.
Similar Recipe Dishes:
- Chicken with Spaghetti en Casserole: This dish involves cooking a whole chicken in a casserole with olive oil, white wine, bouillon, and various seasonings. It is then served with boiled spaghetti and a delicious sauce made from mushrooms and olives.
- Stuffed Chicken (Turkish Style): In this recipe, the chicken is steamed until tender and then stuffed with a mixture of chopped almonds, parsley, breadcrumbs, and egg. The chicken is then roasted until golden and crispy, resulting in a flavorful and aromatic dish.
These dishes share similarities with Amastich in terms of using chicken as the main ingredient and incorporating various flavors and aromatics. Each dish has its own unique twists and techniques, showcasing the diverse culinary traditions found in different regions.