Cucumber Mango. Recipe
Cucumber Mango is a refreshing and unique recipe that combines the crispness of cucumber with the sweetness of ripe mangoes. This fusion of flavors creates a delightful blend that is perfect for hot summer days or as a side dish to complement a variety of meals.
The history of this recipe can be traced back to the tropical regions of Southeast Asia, where both cucumber and mangoes are abundantly grown. The combination of these two ingredients brings together the best of both worlds - the tangy and cooling properties of cucumbers and the luscious and tropical sweetness of mangoes.
Fun fact: Did you know that cucumber is technically a fruit? It belongs to the same family as melons and squash, and its mild flavor and high water content make it a popular choice for salads and refreshing dishes.
Now, let's dive into the recipe for Cucumber Mango and explore the steps to create this delightful dish!
- 1 large cucumber
- 1 ripe mango
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (optional for some heat)
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
1. Start by preparing the cucumber. Cut the large cucumber in half lengthways and use a spoon to scoop out the seedy part in the center. This will create a hollowed-out cavity.
2. In a pot, bring the vinegar to a boil and add the mustard seeds, minced garlic, cumin powder, and chili powder (if using). Let the mixture simmer for a few minutes to infuse the flavors.
3. Place the hollowed-out cucumber halves into the pot with the vinegar mixture. Make sure the cucumber halves are fully submerged in the liquid. Let them soak for 24 hours to marinate and absorb the flavors.
4. After marinating, remove the cucumber halves from the vinegar mixture and pat them dry with a paper towel. They should now have a tangy and slightly spiced flavor.
5. Next, prepare the ripe mango. Peel the mango and cut it into small cubes. Set aside.
6. Take the cucumber halves and fill them with the cubed mango. Feel free to be generous with the mango filling to create a delicious balance of flavors.
7. If desired, you can also season the mango filling with salt and pepper to enhance the taste.
8. To serve, place the stuffed cucumber halves on a serving plate and garnish with fresh cilantro leaves for a beautiful presentation.
Cucumber Mango can be enjoyed as a refreshing side dish or as an appetizer. The tanginess from the vinegar-marinated cucumber perfectly complements the sweetness of the mango filling, creating a delightful combination of flavors in every bite. Experiment with different variations by adding a squeeze of lime juice or a sprinkle of chaat masala for a touch of tangy or savory notes.
Similar recipe dishes you might also enjoy include:
1. Cucumber Melon Salad: This salad combines the refreshing flavors of cucumber and cantaloupe or watermelon, along with a splash of lime juice and fresh mint leaves for a cool and tangy dish.
2. Mango Salsa: Mango salsa is a popular accompaniment to various dishes, where chopped ripe mangoes are combined with diced cucumber, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, and a hint of chili for a sweet and spicy salsa.
3. Cucumber Mango Smoothie: Blend together cucumber, mangoes, yogurt, honey, and a squeeze of lime juice to create a creamy and refreshing smoothie that is perfect for breakfast or as a post-workout treat.
Whether you choose to enjoy Cucumber Mango as a side dish, salad, or incorporated into a beverage, it is a fantastic way to celebrate the flavors of summer. So go ahead and explore this unique combination, and let your taste buds savor the refreshing and tropical delights!