Savoury Eggs. Recipe
History and Fun Facts about Savoury Eggs:
Savoury eggs, also known as deviled eggs or stuffed eggs, have been a popular dish for centuries. The recipe can be traced back to ancient Rome, where they would stuff boiled eggs with various fillings and seasonings. In medieval Europe, deviling became a common cooking technique, where food was spiced or seasoned with hot ingredients. This gave rise to the term "deviled eggs," which refers to the addition of spicy or flavorful ingredients to the egg yolk mixture.
Deviled eggs gained popularity in the United States during the mid-20th century and became a staple at picnics, parties, and potlucks. Today, they are a classic appetizer, loved for their creamy filling, versatility, and ease of preparation. Savoury eggs can be customized with a wide range of fillings, from traditional to creative, making them suitable for any occasion.
Now, let's dive into a delicious recipe for Savoury Eggs:
- 6 eggs
- 2 ounces of grated hung beef
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon of oil (for frying)
- Brown gravy (for serving)
Step 1: Boil the eggs
Start by boiling the eggs until they are hard. Place the eggs in a pot with enough water to cover them and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat and let them cook for about 10 minutes. Afterward, transfer the eggs into a bowl of cold water to cool and facilitate easy peeling.
Step 2: Prepare the egg yolks
Once the eggs are completely cooled, carefully peel them and slice them in half lengthwise. Gently remove the egg yolks and place them in a mortar or a mixing bowl.
Step 3: Prepare the filling
Add the grated hung beef to the egg yolks in the mortar. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Using a pestle or a fork, beat the mixture until well combined and creamy. Adjust the seasoning if needed.
Step 4: Fill the egg halves
Using a spoon or a piping bag, fill the hollowed-out egg halves with the yolk and beef mixture. Be generous with the filling, ensuring each half is nicely stuffed.
Step 5: Fry lightly
In a frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Once hot, carefully place the filled egg halves in the pan and fry them lightly for about 2-3 minutes on each side. The goal is to give them a golden-brown color and a slightly crispy texture.
Step 6: Serve with brown gravy
Transfer the lightly fried savory eggs to a serving plate and garnish them with a sprinkle of chopped parsley or any other desired herbs. Serve them warm with a side of brown gravy, which complements the flavors perfectly.
Enjoy these delectable Savoury Eggs as an appetizer, a snack, or part of a brunch spread. They are sure to be a crowd-pleaser!
Similar Recipe Dishes:
- Classic Deviled Eggs: This is the most common variation of Savoury Eggs, where the yolks are mixed with mayonnaise, mustard, and seasonings like paprika and Worcestershire sauce.
- Guacamole Stuffed Eggs: A twist on the traditional Savoury Eggs, this recipe incorporates mashed avocado, lime juice, and cilantro into the yolk filling for a creamy and tangy flavor.
- Bacon and Cheddar Stuffed Eggs: For a heartier option, combine crumbled bacon, shredded cheddar cheese, and green onion with the egg yolks, resulting in a savory and cheesy delight.
- Smoked Salmon Stuffed Eggs: Elevate your Savoury Eggs by mixing the yolks with cream cheese, chopped smoked salmon, dill, and lemon zest. The added richness and smoky flavor create an elegant appetizer.
- Sriracha and Pickle Stuffed Eggs: Add some spice to your eggs by mixing the yolks with mayonnaise, Sriracha sauce, and finely chopped pickles. This combination offers a tangy and spicy kick.