Salmon Loaf Recipe
Salmon Loaf is a classic dish that has been enjoyed for many years. It is a delicious way to enjoy salmon, which is not only tasty but also packed with nutrients. This recipe is easy to prepare and makes for a satisfying meal.
Fun Fact: Did you know that the concept of using canned salmon to make a loaf originated during World War II? Canned salmon was readily available and inexpensive, making it a popular ingredient for households on a budget.
To make Salmon Loaf, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 can of salmon
- 1 cup of grated bread crumbs
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon of onion juice
- Bread crumbs for topping
- Greased baking dish
Here are the steps to prepare Salmon Loaf:
1. Preheat your oven to a hot temperature.
2. Drain the canned salmon and remove any bones or skin. Place the salmon in a mixing bowl.
3. Add the grated bread crumbs, beaten eggs, milk, lemon juice, paprika, salt, chopped parsley, and onion juice to the bowl with the salmon.
4. Using a blender or food processor, blend the ingredients together until well combined. You can also use a fork or your hands to mix everything together.
5. Grease a baking dish to prevent sticking. Transfer the salmon mixture into the greased baking dish and spread it evenly.
6. Sprinkle a thin layer of bread crumbs on top of the salmon mixture. This will give a nice golden crust to the loaf.
7. Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for about 30 minutes or until the top is browned and the loaf is cooked through. You can test the doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the loaf. If it comes out clean, the loaf is done.
8. While the Salmon Loaf is baking, you can prepare a white sauce to serve with it. You can either make a basic white sauce using butter, flour, and milk, or use a ready-made sauce from the store.
9. Once the Salmon Loaf is cooked, remove it from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes. Cut the loaf into slices and serve with the white sauce.
Salmon Loaf is a versatile dish that can be enjoyed as a main course or used as a filling for sandwiches. It pairs well with a side of vegetables, mashed potatoes, or a fresh salad.
Similar recipes to Salmon Loaf include Tuna Loaf, Crab Cakes, and Fisherman's Pie. These dishes use similar ingredients and cooking techniques, but with variations in the type of seafood used. They are all delicious options to explore if you enjoy the flavors of seafood in a loaf form.
Enjoy your homemade Salmon Loaf and savor the flavors of this classic recipe!