Spinach Soup Recipe
Spinach Soup is a delightful and nutritious dish that has been enjoyed for centuries. Spinach has a long history and is believed to have originated in ancient Persia (modern-day Iran). It was later introduced to the Mediterranean region and eventually made its way to other parts of the world.
Fun Fact: Spinach gained popularity during the Renaissance period when Catherine de' Medici, a member of the Medici family and a patron of the arts, embraced it and brought it to France as part of her dowry. Since then, spinach has become a staple in French cuisine and beyond.
Now, let's dive into the recipe for Spinach Soup!
- 2 quarts of fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup of chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 2 cups of milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
1. Begin by washing the spinach thoroughly. Remove any dirt or impurities and pick over the leaves to ensure only fresh and healthy ones are used.
2. In a large pot, bring water to a boil and add the washed spinach. Cook the spinach for approximately twenty minutes until it becomes tender.
3. Once the spinach is cooked, drain it and allow it to cool slightly. Chop the spinach into smaller pieces and then pass it through a sieve or use a blender to create a smooth puree.
4. Return the spinach puree to the pot with the cooking water. Add the chopped onions to the pot and cook over medium heat until the onions are thoroughly done.
5. In a separate saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Once melted, add the flour and stir continuously to form a smooth paste, known as a roux.
6. Gradually add the milk to the roux, stirring constantly to avoid any lumps from forming. Continue stirring until the mixture thickens to a creamy consistency.
7. Season the roux and milk mixture with salt and pepper, according to your taste preferences.
8. Finally, pour the spinach mixture into the pot with the thickened sauce. Stir well to combine all the flavors and allow it to simmer for a few more minutes to ensure the soup is heated through.
That's it! Your delicious Spinach Soup is now ready to be served. This recipe should yield a hearty and flavorful soup that can be enjoyed on its own or accompanied by some crusty bread or a side salad.
Similar Recipe Dishes:
If you enjoy spinach-based soups, you might also appreciate the following dishes:
1. Cream of Spinach Soup: Similar to the Spinach Soup recipe provided, this dish adds cream to make the soup richer and creamier in texture.
2. Spinach and Potato Soup: By adding diced potatoes to the spinach soup base, you can create a more substantial and satisfying meal while still enjoying the goodness of spinach.
3. Spinach and Lentil Soup: Combining the earthiness of lentils with the freshness of spinach creates a hearty and nutritious soup that will keep you warm and satisfied.
4. Spinach and Chickpea Soup: A flavorful combination of spinach and protein-packed chickpeas, this soup is deliciously filling and can be enhanced with spices like cumin, coriander, and turmeric.
Experiment with these variations of spinach soups, and discover your favorite way to incorporate this nutritious green into your meals!