Boiled Trout Recipe
Boiled Trout Recipe
History of the Recipe:
Boiled Trout is a classic dish that has been enjoyed for many generations. It is a simple preparation method that brings out the delicate flavors of the fish. Trout is a freshwater fish that is found in rivers and lakes around the world. It has been a popular choice for cooking due to its tender flesh and mild taste. The recipe for Boiled Trout has been passed down through the years, with slight variations in different regions. It is a versatile dish that can be enjoyed as a main course or served as a part of a larger meal.
1. Trout is a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are beneficial for heart health.
2. This recipe calls for the use of vinegar while boiling the fish, which helps to keep the fish firm and enhances the flavor.
3. The sauce for Boiled Trout is made with sweet cream, butter, and flour, resulting in a rich and creamy texture.
4. Garnishing the fish with chopped egg yolks and whites adds a pop of color and additional flavor.
5. This recipe can also be prepared with other types of fish, such as fresh cod or striped bass.
- 1 trout (about 1 pound)
- 1 celery root, cut into pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 sprig of parsley
- Water, enough to cover the fish
- Dash of vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup sweet cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Cold milk
- 2 eggs
- 12 or more blanched almonds
- Chopped parsley for garnish
1. Start by preparing the bed of roots for the fish. Cut up the celery root, onion, and parsley and place them in a large pot.
2. Take the trout and tie it in a napkin, then lay it on top of the bed of roots in the pot.
3. Pour enough water into the pot to cover the fish, and add a dash of vinegar. The vinegar will help to keep the fish firm during boiling.
4. Place the pot over a high heat and bring it to a boil. Once boiling, add salt to the water.
5. Boil the fish for about 10-12 minutes or until it is cooked through and flakes easily. Cooking time may vary depending on the size of the fish.
6. While the fish is boiling, prepare the sauce. In a separate kettle, heat the sweet cream over medium heat.
7. Add the fresh butter, salt, and pepper to the heated sweet cream and stir until the butter is melted.
8. In a small bowl, mix together the flour and a little cold milk to form a paste.
9. Slowly add the flour paste to the cream mixture, stirring constantly. Boil the sauce for about one minute, until it thickens.
10. Remove the fish from the pot and place it on a hot platter.
11. Pour the prepared sauce over the fish, ensuring it is evenly coated.
12. Boil the eggs for about 8-10 minutes. Once boiled, place them into a bowl of cold water to cool.
13. Peel the boiled eggs and separate the whites from the yolks. Chop each separately.
14. Take the blanched almonds and stick them into the fish, points up, for added decoration and flavor.
15. Garnish the fish with a row of chopped egg yolks, followed by a row of chopped egg whites until all are used.
16. Lastly, sprinkle chopped parsley all around the platter as a final garnish.
17. Serve the Boiled Trout hot and enjoy!
Similar Recipe Dishes:
- Boiled Fresh Cod: Follow the same instructions as the Boiled Trout recipe, but use fresh cod instead of trout. The cooking time may vary depending on the size and thickness of the cod fillets.
- Boiled Striped Bass: Similarly, you can substitute the trout with striped bass for a variation of this dish. The method and ingredients remain the same.
- Poached Salmon: Poaching is another popular cooking method for fish. Poached salmon can be served with a variety of sauces and garnishes, similar to the Boiled Trout recipe.