Fresh Cod Or Striped Bass Recipe
Recipe for Fresh Cod or Striped Bass
History of the Recipe:
The recipe for fresh cod or striped bass has a long and rich history, with variations found in many coastal regions around the world. Fish has been a staple in human diets for centuries, and different cultures have developed diverse methods of cooking and seasoning fish to make it delicious and enjoyable. This particular recipe is a classic preparation that enhances the delicate flavors of fresh cod or striped bass.
- Cod is one of the most popular fish for culinary purposes due to its mild flavor and versatility in cooking.
- Striped bass, also known as striper or rockfish, is a prized game fish and a favorite among sport fishermen.
- People have been salting fish as a preservation method for hundreds of years, as the salt helps to draw out moisture and prevent spoilage.
- Fresh cod or striped bass fillets, cut into serving-sized pieces
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 turnip, peeled and sliced
- 1 celery root, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- A tiny piece of cinnamon
- Pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon of flour
- Cold water
- 2 egg yolks
- Chopped parsley for garnish
1. Begin by salting the cod or striped bass fillets and let them sit for an hour. This helps to season and slightly firm up the fish.
2. In a fish kettle (or a large pot), add enough water to submerge the fish fillets. Bring the water to a boil and add the sliced onion, carrot, turnip, and celery root. Boil for about 15 minutes, allowing the flavors of the vegetables to infuse the water.
3. After 15 minutes, add the prepared fish fillets to the pot, along with the butter, cinnamon, and pepper. Boil for another 15 minutes, ensuring that the fish is cooked through but still tender.
4. In a small bowl, mix the flour with some cold water to create a slurry. Gradually add this slurry to the pot, stirring well to prevent any lumps from forming. Boil the mixture for a few more minutes until the gravy thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon.
5. Remove the fish pieces from the pot and carefully arrange them on a serving platter.
6. In another bowl, beat the egg yolks with a tablespoon of cold water until well-combined. Strain out the vegetables from the pot and slowly add the hot gravy to the egg yolk mixture, stirring continuously. This helps to temper the eggs and create a smooth, creamy sauce.
7. Return the egg and gravy mixture to the pot and place it back on the heat. Stir the mixture continuously until it thickens enough to your liking.
8. Pour the thickened gravy over the fish on the serving platter, garnish with chopped parsley, and serve immediately.
Similar Recipe Dishes:
1. Baked Cod or Striped Bass with Lemon and Herbs: Instead of boiling the fish, you can bake it in the oven with a drizzle of olive oil, lemon juice, and a selection of your favorite herbs. This method creates a flavorful and healthy dish.
2. Pan-Fried Cod or Striped Bass with Garlic Butter: For a crispy and indulgent preparation, you can pan-fry the fish fillets in butter and minced garlic until golden brown. Serve with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice for added brightness.
3. Grilled Cod or Striped Bass Tacos: Marinate the fish fillets in a zesty citrus and chili-based marinade, then grill them to perfection. Serve the grilled fish in warm tortillas with your favorite toppings such as salsa, avocado, and fresh cilantro.
Remember, cooking fish requires attention to detail and precision in order to achieve the perfect texture and flavor. Whether you choose to boil, bake, pan-fry, or grill your fish, always prioritize using fresh ingredients and adjusting the seasonings according to your personal taste preferences. Enjoy!